Thursday, February 3, 2011

Cooking with Isaiah

Hello everyone! We've had quite a month here in New England; locally I think we've topped 50 inches this month?? That just sounds insane to a little desert born thing like me. Last week I officially joined the ranks of true Bostonians though... and placed a lawn chair in my dug out parking spot. Brian spent over an hour shoveling it out after the prior week's huge two days of school canceling storm. And within about 20 hours, someone had stolen it from him. He only got to park in it once, and he was very thorough since he intended to keep it. He was so excited; its the best spot on our street (for our house anyways) and he was in it before the snow started! So last week I shoveled it (miraculously empty in the morning when accumulations started!) and staked my claim. Kept thinking of the boston.com ads while I did it too... "this is not your boston". Tee hee.



A good bit back now I had the pleasure of preparing a meal with one of the kids I work with, Isaiah. He has recently taken an interest in cooking, and asked me one day when I was tutoring him if I would teach him to cook. As a teacher, and a big fan of food, that's a hard request to turn down! After a very successful batch of peanut butter cookies one night, we planned a meal together. He even helped me type up the recipe and our thoughts on it after we finished and cleaned up. I give you;


Pepperoni Calzones

1 tube of Pilsbury Pizza Dough
Cornmeal for sprinkling
1 egg, beaten
1/3 grated Parmesan cheese
1 2/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 1/2 tbsp minced Italian parsley
1/8 teaspoon salt
20 pepperoni slices
1/3 cup milk
red sauce for dipping

1) Gather your ingredients.
100_1051

2) Heat the oven to 425*F

3) Prep any ingredients (chop parsley, measure ingredients, etc.)
100_1052
100_1053

4) Mix the filling ingredients in a medium bowl: 1 egg, parmesan and mozzarella cheeses, parsley, salt, and milk.
5) Sprinkle cornmeal on a cookie sheet.
6) Put the pizza dough on the cookie sheet and cut it into four even pieces.
7) Put about 1/4 of the cheese and parsley mix on each dough piece. Add 5 pepperoni to each.
8) Fold each calzone over and pinch seams together. Use some water to be sure they really stick! Otherwise the filling can leak out (messy).
9) Bake in preheated (425*F) oven for 12-15 minutes, until golden brown.
100_1055
100_1056
10) Serve hot, with red sauce for dipping!
100_1057

Tips: For really picky eaters, leave out the parsley. The "green bits" are just a little too suspicious…



Next time, I'll try:
We should leave more room at the edges. Our filling leaked quite a bit. We need to be really careful about pinching the two parts together.

3 comments:

  1. What an awesome post - I love how much he is enjoying the process! Nice photos! HUGS!-

    ReplyDelete
  2. You delivered such an impressive piece to read, cooking fever mod apk giving every subject enlightenment for us to gain information. Thanks for sharing such information with us due to which my several concepts have been cleared. cooking fever mod apk unlimited money and gems

    ReplyDelete

Print

Related Posts with Thumbnails